I decided to do the reformat/rebuild tonight. Since tonight I’m on call for Hospice, it makes no sense for me to get deep into working on my many projects, I figured now would be a good time.
- Back up successful and burned to CD
- All driver CD’s are present (monitor, sound card, video card, motherboard, etc)
- Took a screen shot of my Product ID #’s for various registered software (didn’t trust myself to write them down) and printed them out
- Backed up a gazillion fonts, photoshop and paintshop plugins, favorites and other items of necessity
- Have all program file CD’s that are necessary for install immediately after rebuild
Well – wish me luck! See ya on the flip side 😀
9 thoughts on “Reformat Ready”
Good luck on the reload. I never look forward to the process, but I ALWAYS love being able to start over on a freshly loaded system.
I usually just make sure I have a driver for the network card, then get all drivers from the mfg’s sites to get the latest driver versions. Also these days it’s good to download SP-2 and have it on a cd or another partition and update from it before you even get on the network. It doesn’t take long to get worms/viruses once an unpatched system is online.
Not to be a know-it-all 😎
I hate rebuilds – – but I know your system will be ever so happy when it’s done.
Ugh. Good luck! At least it’ll help pass the time…
One thing you may consider is cut’n’paste all your registration keys into a single text file. Then, after the re-install, it’s fairly trivial to cut’n’paste the numbers back in.
I have a special CD upon which I have burned all the latest shareware apps I use, along with certain goodies such as the registration keys. When worst comes to worst (which, as you know, it did recently!) at least I can get back up to speed quickly with my favorite apps.
Thank you for the thoughts and suggestions, everyone. The whole thing went well and was pretty painless, afterall 🙂
Pingback: Rock Hudson
Pingback: James Lablanche Stewart
Pingback: Jodie Foster