Here’s my 13 bits for this week:
- Ya know, I dabble a bit in a little blog design now and then . . and to celebrate the coming New Year – – I’m giving one away for free. The instructions to enter for the free blog design are easy – you can read about them here. And don’t worry – the second runner up gets a prize, too!
- I opened up a Flickr account last week, just for fun. I’ve no idea why I did it – since I already have a Photoblog of my own that I’ve been keeping for the last few months. I think I just like the flash based Flickr Badge that they give you. (I have it in my sidebar) – I’m such a sucker for cute little web gizmos like that!
- Our home is heated by hydronic, radiant floor heating. A few days ago – it broke. We got heat on the lower level of the house – – but absolutely no heat to the upper level. The heating guys finally came out yesterday and had to replace the water pump and things are back to normal. They had to bleed the water out of the entire system, though – and the water that came out had this horrible rusty smell mixed with the smell of rotten eggs (we have well water) – – the smell infiltrated the house so much that we had to open the windows and turn on some fans and pretend like it wasn’t 8 degrees outside! I believe things are back to normal now. But, man! Brr!
- I rediscovered a favorite blogger from the past. Linda over at Auterrific – – I had her blogrolled a long time ago, and somewhere along the line, she fell off my blogroll. I got her back on now, though – go on and give her a visit!
- Chris and I sat down and watched Mr. & Mrs. Smith last night. I’ve always been a big a fan of AJ. I liked Pitt in Oceans 11 and Fight Club. This movie, though? It wasn’t so hot. I found it lacking. And that’s not just because I’m a supporter of Team Aniston
- Speaking of celebrity dish? Pink is the New Blog has be come one of my daily vices. Shameful. But true!
- Speaking of watching movies – – we finished seasons 1, 2, 3 AND 4 of ALIAS. Season Five is the last one – – and it’s the one currently showing on TV on Thursdays @ 7. But . . we’ve missed the first few episodes – – so I just can’t start watching it on Thursdays now . . without seeing the first few episodes! Especially considering the way season 4 ended. I hate cliffhangers. I have to wait until season 5 is out on DVD – – in MAY!! I’m dyin’ here!
- Now that the upstairs is warm again – – we’ll be doing the Christmas cookie baking and tree decorating over the next few days finally! I’m feeling really far behind on Christmas this year! /panic!
- Speaking of cookies – – Leanne sent me a batch of eggnog cookies that she was baking earlier this week. I’ve feel like I’ve been waiting and waiting for weeks! I’m very impatient!
- Monday begins the great diet escapade! Last year, I lost a full 65lbs. A year later, I put back 15 of those. Then this past June/July I lost those 15lbs. I’ve since put 5 of those back on. With SXSW coming up in March, and then my wedding coming up in June – – I’m psyched for this diet like never before. Chris and I are doing it together and we’re completely organized for it – – we’re doing the Body for Life Challenge , which is how I lost the initial weight. Daily exercise plans are on paper, we’ve set goals and have planned menus for our meals – – watch out size 8, here I come!
- My daughter came in my office yesterday afternoon all excited to tell me that she got a 100% on her final unit exam in her Earth Science course. This is HUGE news, because this is the class she’s been struggling most with. We shared a celebratory cup of hot cocoa, with a dollop of whipped cream on top to make it special! W00t!
- Somehow I got myself stuck on this Kennedy Assassination site. Ended up spending hours and hours there just reading and browsing. Wouldn’t you just love to know what happened, really?
- This year, I’m trying my hand at a homemade eggnog recipe – – and, in the spirit of the holidays, thought I would share:
3 eggs; slightly beaten
1/3 granulated sugar
Dash of salt
2 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup of rum; if desired (hic)
1 cup whipping cream (heavy)
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
Mix eggs, granulated sugar and salt in heavy 2-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over ow heat 1 – 20 minutes, stirring constantly, just until mixture coats a metal spoon; remove from heat. Stir in vanilla and rum. Keep warm.
Just before serving, beat whipping cream and brown sugar in chilled bowl with an electric mixer on high, until stiff. Gently stir 1 cup of the whipped cream into eggnog mixture.
Pour eggnog into small heatproof punch bowl. Drop remaining whipped cream into 4 or 5 mounds onto eggnog. Sprinkle nutmeg on whipped cream. Serve immediately. Refrigerate any remaining leftover eggnog.
I did say the diet starts Monday – – so I must make this tonight!
But you can decrease the calories in this by substituting the 3 eggs for 2 eggs plus 2 egg whites, use 2 1/4 cup skim milk for the milk, and instead of the beaten heavy whipping cream and brown sugar, use 2 cups frozen (thawed) whipped topping.
- My daughter is stalking my blogs in hopes of finding any tid bit-o-information about her Christmas present. Sorry, kid — you’re totally outta luck! burn!
- My son, on the other hand – – I can talk about his present. We finished shopping for him already and here’s his list………
You can grab Thursday Thirteen over by Leanne – the fabulous creator of this fun . . thing!
So, leave a trackback from your Thursday 13 to mine – and you’ll automatically be linked here as a Thursday 13 participant. Your blog software does not support trackback pinging, you say? It doesn’t need to – you can use Wizbang’s Standalone Trackback Pinger to send a trackback from your post to any blog in the blogosphere.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. Itâ€™s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
Thirteen’s I’ve read so far:
Fireflies & Frogs
Happy @ Home
Eat My Oxygen
Musings from the Edge
Suspension of Disbelief
21 thoughts on “Thurs. 13”
I made Leanne’s cookies too. One the second batch I added some rasins and they were pretty good :d
After tge holidays my big fat ass is on a big fat diet!
I have to get the cookies in before my diet starts. People think I’m nuts starting the diet right before christmas – – but it’s doable 🙂 Strangely enough, I have plenty of willpower when I start thinking about that wedding gown of mine! 😉
I can’t wait for the cookies!!:-ss
LOVE the messing with the kid’s minds! Great list as well… I did Body For Life a few years ago with excellent results. Good luck. giving up sweets during the holidays is hard!
You had better wait for me on that diet thing, I can’t be the big fat lady standing next to that skinny babe in the wedding gown! /:)
I’ll just have to send more cookies. heh. 😉
More cookies may very well turn my diet into a disaster! lol
Pingback: Intricate Art Blog - Thursday Thirteen #16
Pingback: Intricate Art Blog - Thursday Thirteen #16
I am kinda dumb when it comes to this internet stuff (but I am learning), so I don’t know what you mean by “leave your trackback from your 13 to mine”. Does that just mean for me to link you? ‘Cuz I did that already. Thanks for linking me anyhow and for stopping by my blog.
I LOVE your blog! (must be the same namesake ;)) I’m going to add you to my blogroll, and once I catch up with these TT, check out your blog contest. Woohoo!
First, I would love that floor heating. That would be awesome! (not when broken)
And I read Pink is…frequently! I laugh out loud at the pictures with BIG PINK FONTS across them. Like B.F.F. and stuff like that. Hysterical!
Pingback: Seriously Silly
Mmmmm, Christmas cookies. I’m sorry about your stinky house. My house stinks too.We had to replace one of our pipes in the basement and the basement smells like a sewer. I’ve been complaining about the stink in my house for the last several days. I’m sure everyone who reads my blog, not to mention my husband, are tired of hearing me complain about the stench that is our house. LOL.
My Thursday 13 are up!
Hi, I came from EatmyOxygen and her thursday 13. Saw your comment and thought I’d stop by.
I dabble a bit in design myself and have been thinking of “mixing things up a bit.” 🙂 I love your work.
Y’all are doing body for life?? SO ARE WE! Ok, that’s a bit of a stretch. I do the workouts and MOST of the time try to get the food thing in. I need to restart it, though, and I really need more motivation (also reaching for a size 8 after having baby one year ago. Sigh)
Thanks for having me!
Thanks for posting this! I just did my first Thursday 13!!! My link is:
Thanks, Lindsey – – I read through yours and now I”m hungry for PF Changs lol8-}
Mrs. Flinger – good luck with your Body for Life thing! You don’t have to do the whole program .. just the exercise and food part of it is the most important!
Great list. Too funny that your daughter is trying to find out about her present and I am definitely going to try that eggnog recipe! I love eggnog!
HAAAA HAAA on the burn to your kids. Funny girl.
I need to make those eggnog cookies. Leanne gave me the recipe.
I used to love Alias. I don’t know why I stopped watching it. Hrm. Can I borrow your DVDs? 😛
My kids think they can outwit Mom. ha!
We have seasons 1, 2, 3 and 4 – – whatcha need?? I’ll hook ya up >:/
Sorry Lisa, but you’re handling the kids wrong. You should be putting up misleading lists rather than the good stuff. Then when the start to catch on you can throw a real one in and leave them completely confused. :d
Pingback: Thursday Thirteen «
How about- I tend not to think about weaknesses as I have always been one to focus on the positive side of things to be successful. ,