I had hoped to be able to attend the SOBCon ’08 conference in Chicago this May. I had heard SO many great things about SOBCon ’07 that I really wanted to go this year. I purchased my registration back in March and planned my schedule so that I could attend.
Then came the wrench (isn’t there always one??). Among several other professional and personal obligations that I have going on right now – I heard back from my editors at Wiley Publishing. A few weeks ago, I submitted my proposed revisions and Table of Contents for the Second Edition of WordPress For Dummies. They’ve gotten back to me and have not only enthusiastically accepted my proposal – but have confirmed their intention to go ahead with the Second Edition, starting immediately!
I have, roughly, 2.5 months to get it done! Judging by my last ‘go round’ with writing a book – I’m going to need all the spare time I can grab onto over here.. which means that SOBCon ’08 is, sadly, out the window.
The GOOD news, however, is this – – I have been in touch with Terry Starbucker, one of the organizers of the event (along with the illustrious Liz Strauss) – and they have confirmed that I can give my registration away and transfer it to another interested party.
The registration normally costs $450. I’m giving mine away – – no strings attached. I just don’t want to see the registration wasted when someone else could benefit from attendance, in my absence. All I want, in return, is some linkage back to this post – – it’s simple. Do a post on your blog about why you would like to attend the SOBCon and what you hope to get out of it.. trackback this post and that’s it. By April 25, if I have any interested takers at all – – I’ll throw any names in a hat and pick one and announce it here. I know it’s kind of short notice… but hey, someone might be interested!
Here are some SOBCon ’08 details:
- SOBCon08 is â€œBiz School for Blogging.â€ This yearâ€™s event tracks entrepreneur bloggers and corporate bloggers alike, with an innovative format and a stellar cast of speaker/instructors.
- SOBCon08 will be held at the Summit Executive Center in downtown Chicago from May 2-4, 2008
- Have a look at some of the impressive speakers, including Christine Kane, Terry Starbucker, Anita Bruzzese, Liz Strauss, Brian Clark, Lorelle VanFossen, Chris Garrett, Chris Brogan, David Bullock and Wendy Piersall!
- The event is sponsored by some really great companies like WordPress, Utterz, Network Solutions, b5media, Blog Catalog, THC, Chitika, Wiley Publishing (the most blog-friendly publisher on the planet!), ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income – – to name just a few! You’ll be in GREAT company!
- Read some of the great stuff that came out of SOBCon ’07
After conferring with my family, publisher, co-workers and clients…I just can’t see a way for me to attend, as much as I wanted to. If someone else can benefit from the conference – why not, I say! A $450 registration to a very valuable conference – – all for a post about the conference with a link back here.. not a bad deal, really. (I wouldn’t turn down lifetime love and adoration, either. heh)
Let me know if you’re interested!