I am excited to announce the release of my latest WordPress book, WordPress Web Design For Dummies, which is now available on Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble and anywhere books are sold, online or at your local brick and mortar bookstore. This is the fourth title that I have written for Wiley Publishing on the topic of WordPress – its gotten to the point where the folks at Wiley are calling me their Franchise author on all things WordPress (no, really – ask Ellen, she’ll tell you all about it!)
Yea – I guess I like WordPress quite a bit, if you can’t tell!
This book was great fun to write because I not only got the opportunity to write a book about my favorite content management system, WordPress – but was also able to couple that topic with another passion of mine: web design. It covers topics related to HTML, CSS, Typography, Graphic Design, tools that are helpful for designers and developers to help make your job easier and more efficient, as well as using the WordPress platform to put together a fantastic web site.
Plus – because this book has as much to do with design as it does about WordPress, Wiley decided to print the book in full color. I’ve had the chance to page through it and really like the way it looks – - I think all For Dummies books should be printed in color!
The official description of the book:
Learn how WordPress can help you create a unique, customized Web site
Once only a platform for bloggers, WordPress is gaining popularity as a tool for creating individualized Web sites. WordPress expert Lisa Sabin-Wilson makes it easy for anyone with a basic knowledge of the WordPress software to create a custom site using complimentary technologies including CSS, HTML, and PHP. This easy-to-follow, full-color guide helps you identify the tools and technologies you need to create the site you envision, build a user-friendly navigation system, select colors and layouts, work with existing WordPress themes, and even develop your own theme to personalize your site.
- WordPress offers a versatile tool for building customized Web sites; this full-color book walks you through the process, explains the complimentary technologies involved, and shows you how to select colors, fonts, and themes
- Case studies illustrate the process and the effects that can be achieved
- Shows how to incorporate WordPress templates, graphic design principles, HTML, CSS, and PHP to build a truly one-of-a-kind Web site
If you know how to use WordPress software to create a blog, WordPress Web Design For Dummies will enable you to quickly and easily construct a unique Web site for your business, organization, or personal use.
Express yourself with WordPress! Create a custom site with e-commerce, social media, and more
WordPress has grown up! No longer just a blogging tool, it has secret powers that enable you to include features like photo and video galleries, portfolios, directories and contact forms, client testimonials, integration with Facebook and Twitter, and a whole lot more in your Web site. The secret is out — read on and learn what you can do!
- A solid foundation — understand what a content management system is, how a blog differs from a Web site, and what you need from a Web host
- The right tool for the job — learn about FTP, types of editors, graphics programs, fonts and colors, and image libraries
- Choose your theme — discover the anatomy of a WordPress theme and how to use template tags to display different content
- It’s all yours — create a unique, customized site using Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) and HTML
- Pick plugins — use plugins to add galleries, social communities, and forums to your site
Open the book and find:
- Why WordPress is perfect for e-commerce sites
- Steps for installing WordPress on your Web server
- How plain text editors differ from WYSIWYG editors
- Hints for creating dynamite design
- What you can do with widgets
- Examples of content types and formats
- Tips for using WordPress as a content management system
- How template tags work
- Create custom, feature-rich, dynamic Web sites using WordPress
- Customize your design using CSS, HTML, and PHP
- Develop company sites, online magazines, and e-commerce Web sites
WordPress Web Design For Dummies is the perfect companion to my other Titles: WordPress For Dummies and WordPress All In One For Dummies – - especially if you are someone who designs web sites, or someone who wishes to learn more about how to use WordPress to create dynamic sites for yourself, your friend or clients.